People have been emailing me asking me questions about the different equipment I used to shoot the project, The Culture that recently appeared on my portfolio. I’ve decided that instead of writing the same thing over and over again in emails I would just make a short blog post outlining the equipment I used for the project.
The project was shot primarily on two cameras and on two types of film. I wish I had shot the entire thing with one camera, one lens, and one type of film but it wasn’t really realistic for the type of project it was. Also, during such a long process I would switch between the two cameras to stir a bit of creativity if needed.
The first of the cameras was a Leica M5 with the lowly 40mm Summicron attached. The ugly duckling pair did a fine job for me and this is still the camera lens I carry every day. I used Neopan 400 pushed to 1600 in the Leica the entire time.
I used this camera / lens / film combination for 80 percent of the project. The negatives were scanned by my friend Tyler.
I wanted the scans to be dirty.
The second camera I used was the Ricoh GR1V. It was the camera I kept in my pocked most of the time when I was with the family. It was less intimidating than the Leica and gave a bit of a different look. I shot HP5 in the Ricoh also pushed to 1600.
The Ricoh photos were much sharper than those from the Leica. I suppose, during the project I started to use the Leica when I wanted a shallower depth of field. It became a little about feeling what I wanted the the photo to look like and using the right camera based on my feeling. It’s better to keep your gear to a minimum and also to keep it consistent when shooting this kind of project. The more looks you have the less together your project will feel. If I had my time back I would have shot the entire thing on one camera, but it’s too late for that now.
Live and learn.
If you have any questions about the gear I used or anything about the project as a whole feel free to ask in the comment section or send me an email at email@example.com
The project can be seen in it’s entirety here: